28 June 2008

Monday 2nd June 2008 - Stage 1




















Having spent the previous night at the Lands End YHA with its fantastic sunset.
On Monday 2nd June 2008- what would have been our eldest daughters 23rd birthday- my younger daughter Jessica (19yrs) myself and team of six other riders began our journey in memory of Emily Rose. The challenge to complete the ride and acheive our target of raising £50000 for CLIC SARGENT the young persons cancer charity .
That morning my wife Caroline said goodbye as Jessica and I set off with the rest of the Embo Team on our epic journey from Lands End to John O Groats. Heading off in the mist of the morning at 0930hrs on a 94mile stage of the LEJOG. Ready to take on the weather and hills of Cornwall in all its glory. The ride started off slowly as the team found its feet and got used to the traffic of the A30. By mid afternoon we were making good progress and eating away at this arduous first stage. Up one hill down the other, the hills just kept coming and to add insult to injury along came the rain!! Later that afternoon I encountered a problem with one of my tyres, told the team to continue whilst I stopped to look more closely only to find it was a puncture, the support van came back, I changed my tyre and then had to catch up with the rest of the team (15miles later) We continued to ride against the weather which by this time was windy and raining.

The team took it in turns to ride alongside my daughter Jessica (19) keeping her company - she was totally fantastic and we are all very proud of her today. We continued during the day with about 25miles to go at 1530hrs, we hit base camp 1 (Okehampton -Dartmoor) at around 7pm, enjoyed a good evening meal before being tucked up in bed.











No comments: